Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Crispy Crust Breads: Making Dough

You ever go to BK or McDee's in the morning, ask for an egg sandwich and what you get is something resembling what you asked for but not quite? How about going to Dunkin Donuts and getting a donut that's kinda stale? Or go into King Kullen and get a bagel that you can't put anything on it because it's just too small?

It's happened to me. I hate it. And I'm so glad we finally got a REAL bakery in the area. Crispy Crust Breads just opened up on Neighborhood Rd (well, just opened up about 2 weeks ago) and the word is getting around fast. I went there for the first time this Saturday* and was impressed with the size of their pastries, and their donuts (they're ginormous even for a guy like me that loves to eat!).

I bought a loaf of Italian bread for when I got home, and true to their name the crust was crispy ... but the inside was delicious and soft. I also got a cheese and cherry (or is that cherry and cheese) danish which is making me hungry as I type! They have some pretty tasty looking gourmet cookies (I didn't buy them as I had to restrain myself) and their bagels were HUGE. They didn't have much of a selection with bagels but that's because, as the owner stated, "since we just opened up people don't know about our bagels and they end up going to waste if we make too many". They have a small selection of coffee, which wouldn't be too impressive for the coffee drinker. But I don't drink coffee so I really didn't care. I imagine as business grows so will their selections.

As I'm sitting here and typing this I'm saying to myself "self, you suck as a food critic". And thank goodness I'm not! I guess I'm not good at describing things but I'll just say that their stuff is tasty! Made fresh every day. And you should go and check them out because I'm pleased that businesses are coming to Neighborhood Rd and they should all prosper. Besides, I'm a supporter of the little guy and like to see small businesses make money and be competitive against the Food Giants. They're located on Neighborhood Rd between that Italian Ices place (forgot the name) and the karate school. They're opened every day from 7AM to 7PM. For more information: 631 729 6800






*(Full disclosure: Just in case someone is wondering, I am not being paid for this crappy article. In fact they -- unless someone there reads this -- are not aware of this little mention. So if you go there, mention it to them!)

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so excited when I heard that a bread store was opening up on Neighborhood Road...until I found out who owned it. Ben Rizzatolo (not sure about the spelling) is a friend of Delia McKernan, President of the SPBPOA. He actually wrote a letter to the South Shore Press last year praising the wonderful work that she does for the community, especifically the painting of a grafitti house on Palmetto (his block). Even after it was discovered that she painted this house without the permission of the County, who owned the property, Mr. Rizzitolo stood by his woman. Funny though, if you ask him about it now, for the sake of his new business he denies it all.

Anonymous said...

Aside from this incident, I went there for the first time yesterday. The quality was everthing the editor stated it was. Great to have a good bakery so close to the Smith Point area. Hope he does well - his quality beats Franks, of Mastic, hands down!

Anonymous said...

I spoke to the owner on Sunday, informing him that I found out about his establishment on this site - he had no idea about this site.

He did say that 2 weeks ago, somebody from the South Shore Press had been there, and did not know who this person was, or that this was an employee from the SSP. Then a great article about his store was in that paper, and that weekend, had more customers than he knew what to do with.

Cakes are made fresh - 24 hour notice is requested for all birthday cakes. Wish him well - it's truly a good bakery!

Editor said...

"He did say that 2 weeks ago, somebody from the South Shore Press had been there, and did not know who this person was, or that this was an employee from the SSP."

I saw that article and I'm wondering how they took pictures for the article and that somehow didn't tip him off to something...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that someone invested in our area with such a nice store. It’s all about building up our community with nice store owners and great product. Please take the time out to stop in Crispy Crust Breads and welcome them to the area. We all hope you do well there we need a place like yours and want you to stay.

Anonymous said...

I went there 2day and saw a yummy girl behind the counter. I have a thing 4 girls with glasses. If shes there a lot then so am I!

Anonymous said...

It is sad to say that no matter how much a person can invest in the town of Mastic Beach area there is not enough good people to support it. Our town will never grow because of that. Its been proven for over 50 years. So all you people wasting time in that area get out now and spend the time with your family instead.